Is this you?
Heel pain or plantar fasciitis is one of the most common foot complaints experienced by thousands of people across Australia every day.
So what is it?
The plantar fascia is a thick fibrous ligament that runs underneath your foot from your heel to your toes. It is designed to help form the arch of your foot and acts as a shock absorber. It is however not very elastic and therefore is limited to how far it can stretch. When too much tension is placed on the plantar fascia tiny little micro tears will begin to develop often occurring in pain. Plantar fasciitis will most commonly occur at the heel however it can also be present in the arch of the foot.
What are some main causes of heel pain?
Mainly caused by overstretching of the plantar fascia, but how does this happen and why me?
- Over use or sudden increase in physical activity
- Age: as we get older ligaments become tighter and shorter and muscles become weaker leaving us more susceptible to this type of injury
- Weight: our feet are designed to carry a normal weight. Any excess mass will create extra load on our bones and muscles
- Unsupportive footwear: shoes with no support
- Walking barefoot on hard surfaces
- Low arch/ over pronation (a condition where the feet roll inwards and are not properly aligned causing extra pressure on the structures of the foot)
You’re in great hands. We are experts at reducing pain due to plantar fasciitis and are confident we can get you back to 100%
- Shockwave therapy: we are so fortunate to offer our patients the latest in medical technology proven to reduce pain fast (non-invasive)
- Stretching and Strengthening
- Footwear advice
Orthotics are corrective foot devices, they differ from soft spongy gel cushion insoles that do not offer any biomechanical correction.
Orthotics work by re aligning the ankles and lower legs while offering support for the arch. This will help to reduce the tension at the plantar fascia and allow the inflamed tissue to heal.
Your Podiatrist will discuss these with you further in your consultation